Successful applicant will primarily be based in the Brong Ahafo Region with frequent travel
An individual who is passionate about crops, soils and how to improve them scientifically. Will be the MoringaConnect resident expert for Best Agronomic Practices (BAPs) and responsible for monitoring their implementation.
The Agronomist will report to the General Manager and communicate regularly with Nucleus Farm and Farmer Success leadership on all ongoing activities. Will also need to liaise with various departments to ensure adherence to all certification and quality standards.
- Improve seed and leaf yields on the MoringaConnect nucleus farm and all out-grower farms.
- Design and implement experiments to improve yields and BAPs.
- Gather accurate and comprehensive data to enable data driven decisions and projections
- Nucleus Farm
-Regular visits to the nucleus farm
-Support planning, strategy, and implementation for all aspects
-Study the farm’s crop production in order to discern the best ways to plant, harvest, and cultivate the Moringa plant, creating a “center of excellence” for moringa
-Investigate and address any epidemic issues on farms affecting cultivation or production
-Conduct field experiments to identify and recommend organic inputs and practices to boost leaf and seed production
-Conduct regular visits to out-grower hubs to monitor agronomic metrics and engage with field officers on ongoing activities
-Modify BAPs to be implementable and achievable for all engaged farmers
-Support farm and out-growers management team to achieve and maintain certifications
-Collaborate with certifications team on all aspects of certification related to farming and cultivation
-Compile and update best practices for cultivating moringa within all contexts and under all relevant methodologies
-Work with Farmer Success team to create effective training material and modules for dissemination to all out-grower farmers and engaged parties
- Prepare regular reports summarizing agronomic and agricultural learning to be implemented or explored further
- Perform other duties appropriate to this role, as may be required by the Company from time to time.
Key Competencies and Qualifications
- Exhibit company values (passion, integrity, excellence) professionally and personally
- Degree in Agricultural science or related field. Added qualification in agronomic practice will be an advantage
- 2 – 3 years working experience managing agricultural practices in a farming environment, knowledge of moringa cultivation and global gap practices will be an advantage.
- Rigorous understanding and adherence to scientific method and principles
- Able to be in the field and traveling 80% of the time or more
- Understands and has a working knowledge of establishing and improving farming practices in an agricultural environment.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, especially when relating to farm workers
- Comfortable living in a developing town
- Be familiar with proper identification of plant disease and insect pests affecting moringa crops
- Competitive Salary
- Health Insurance
- Company Smartphone & Laptop
- All-expense-paid work related travel
MoringaConnect is an MIT-Harvard spinout headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with its base of operations in Ghana. Our work has been featured in Good Morning America, Forbes, The Guardian, UpWorthy, and the Harvard Business Review. Our vision is to create a world powered by the moringa tree- a crop known locally as ‘the miracle tree’ for its nutritional, medicinal, and economic value. Starting in Ghana, we use our vertically integrated supply chain to turn moringa leaves into nutritious beverages and snacks under our Minga Foods brand and moringa oil seeds into clean beauty products under our award-winning True Moringa brand.
Since becoming operational in Q42013, we’ve created 90 jobs along the value chain for women and youth, provided more than $500K in income to moringa farmers, built a network of 3000 farmers, and planted over 500,000 trees.
What do you think about this piece? Share your comment in the comment thread and share the story using the social media buttons above. You may reach the editor on 0249579664. Thank you.