KMA boss, Osei Assibey Antwi calming some of the women who were affected by the lock down of their stalls yesterday

The Kumasi Metropolitan Chief Executive , Osei Assibey Antwi and Bright Acheamfuo, Chief Executive Officer of Acheamfuo Construction and Company Limited early Thursday morning committed to resolve  the impasse over the allocation of some stalls to displaced traders at the Acheamfuo Market, a popular a market arena in Kumasi.

The two, briefing newsmen after a short meeting renewed their decision to work together to ensure the traders who were caught in the cross fire last Tuesday are given the chance to sell their wares at the market arena.

Explaining the matters, the KMA boss admitted having an arrangement with the construction firm, Achemafuo to shelter over 200 market women who had been moved from the old Kejetia arena to make way for the construction of the Phase 1 of the redeveloped Kejetia market.

The Mayor posited that the arrangement was for two years and had since expired indicating the Assembly has pleaded with Mr Acheamfuo to extend the duration for at least three months so they could properly resettle the affected traders.


Speaking to the Ghanaian Observer Newspaper earlier, Mr Acheamfuo expressed disgust over the way the Assembly was trying to treat his leniency.

He argued that the stalls he allocated to the displaced Kejetia traders were to help the KMA properly resettle the women so the construction at the redeveloped could commence.

The initial agreement signed with KMA was for two years and had informed them of the expiration of same, the CEO noted.

The intransigence shown by the Assembly, Mr Acheamfuo stressed forced him to lock up some of the stalls so as to prove a point that he still has control over what belongs to him.

Mr Acheamfuo has however intimated that the extended agreement will not go beyond three months and would take back his stalls at the end of March, 2019.


Speaking to this reporter, Madam Akua Afriyie, an occupant of one of the stalls expressed delight that the impasse had been settled.

She noted that the KMA needed to arrange properly for the resettlement of some of them so the unfortunate scene is not played up again.

Akosua Foriwaa, another affected occupant said her stall was locked when she came to work yesterday and had tried fruitlessly to get the CEO to open it up for her.

She, however, expressed delight that the impasse had been settled and would get the opportunity to sell her wares for at least three months.

What do you think about this piece? Share your comment in the comment thread and share the story using the social media buttons above. You may reach the editor on 0249579664.  Thank you.


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *